Rhode Island uses the fully computer-based GED® exam for high school equivalency (HSE) testing purposes.
HSE testing gives persons who couldn’t finish high school the chance to acquire an equivalent degree.
The GED exam includes four tests in the following subject areas: Science, Math, Language Arts, and Social Studies.
You can take, register and pay for, one subject (module) at the time but you must finish the four sections within two years!
The GED Test fee in Rhode Island is $120 for all 4 tests – $30 per subject field.
The GED diploma is accepted by practically every US employer and college as equivalent to a common high school diploma.
The minimum Rhode Island age is 19, and for 16, 17, or 18 years old applicants there are certain conditions. Check with a GED testing site near you.
You need to pass the official Rhode Island GED Practice Test first and you must be a resident of Rhode Island.
You did not complete high school and are not signed up for another program.
GED prep classes in Rhode Island:
You can prepare for the GED test by studying online.
You can also choose traditional GED Prep classes near you. Click on your nearest city.
There are numerous locations where GED programs are available, often for free, to become ready to sit for the Rhode Island GED exam confidently.
Online testing is NOT possible
Please be aware of con artists who try to sell you the GED diploma online. This is fraud.
You need to come in person to an official GED test center to take the four GED tests. It just is NOT available online!
To learn all prep locations around you, we list prep classes in and around these cities.
Rhode Island GED testing sites
To check what you know take a free GED Practice Test.
Alternative Education Programs – 205 Norwood Ave, Cranston, Rhode Island 02905, 401 . 270 . 8166
Comm. Coll. of Rhode Island – Flanagan Campus – Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865, 401 . 333 . 7070
Aquidneck Island Ad Education Center – 435 Broadway, Newport, Rhode Island 02840, 401 . 847 . 7171
The Education Exchange – 33 North Rd. Unit C-1, Lily Pads Center, Peace Dale, Rhode Island 02879, 401 . 783 . 0293
Comm. College of Rhode Island – 1 Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02907, 401 . 455 . 6019
RI Dept. of Elementary & Secondary Education – 255 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903, 401 . 222 . 8478
Bristol County Adult Learning Center – 689 Main Street, Warren, RI 02885, 401 . 245 . 3392
Warwick Area Adult Learning Center – 575 Centerville Rd, Warwick, Rhode Island 02886, 401 . 734 . 3156
Woonsocket Ad. Learning Ctr – 191 Social St – Woonsocket, Rhode Island 02895, 401 . 762 . 3841
Are maybe some updates needed? Click here to access the contact page.
Questions? Call Rhode Island’s state office: 401.222.8949
GED passing score in Rhode Island
100-144: non-passing score
145-164: high school equivalency passing score
165-174: college-ready passing score
175-200: college-ready + credit score
When the latest edition of the GED program was introduced in January 2014, the minimum score on each of the four sub-tests was determined at 150 on a 100-200 scoring scale. This was apparently too high as GED graduated were outperforming their high school peers. So in early 2016, the passing score was lowered to 145.
GED – how to get started
You can not already have a high school diploma or similar if you want to enroll in the GED program and you cannot be registered for another school program either. When you think that the GED test route is your ticket, take these guidelines at heart and get ahead in obtaining this important diploma. Find a GED prep facility near you and learn about their registration policy. Get fully informed about requirements and regulations and sign up for a GED prep class.
Make sure you will be properly prepared when you take (one of) the four tests. Every local bookstore or library can supply study material and there is much offered online as well, but probably the best GED preparation is provided at one of the many facilities near you where free preparation classes are offered. Prepare Well, take the exam, and get your GED credential.
Jobs with a GED
The GED exam plays an important role in the national and regional economy, and adults who failed to complete their high school education can really benefit from the possibility that the GED offers.
Practically all governmental institutions and businesses recognize the GED diploma as a basis for their recruitment programs, and colleges and universities consider the GED diploma as equivalent to a high school diploma.
Employees who pass the GED exam, qualify sooner for promotion than those who don’t. Without the GED diploma, adults who did not complete high school, have much more difficulty in securing a good job. Around every decade, the GED exam gets evaluated and adjusted to newer university and industry standards.
The four GED tests
In January 2014, the new GED exam was introduced with changes that were necessary to let the test remain a reliable high school diploma alternative. There are four separate GED subtests in Literacy, Science, Social Studies, and Math that need to be dealt with in a time period of maximally two years. Read also our post about signing up for your GED exam at MyGED.
Professional Option – Become a Nurse
Once you’ve obtained your GED diploma, a college education is open to you. Many GED students have the ambition to get into the field of nursing. This is an overview of different specializations. The medical professional industry is a highly specialized environment. Few doctors are just “doctors”. They’re orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, family practitioners, or psychologists. In the same way, few nurses are just “nurses,” even if their title says otherwise.
Specializing in a specific area of nursing is a great opportunity to develop your professional skills, receive higher compensation, additional promotion chances, greater working hours, and also to uncover a better degree of employee satisfaction in general. It really is a good idea to think about specialization at every stage in your training and your profession. To discover if this career option is fit for you, take a free career aptitude quiz.
Top Nursing Specializations
- Acute health care nurses deal with patients struggling with acute disorders, including heart attacks, breathing problems, or shock, and could accomplish state-of-the-art diagnostic processes. These types of nurses generally operate in hospitals and, as an element of their responsibilities, look after pre- as well as post-surgical patients. In the same way, cardiovascular recovery nurses function where ever patients are recuperating from heart issues.
- Anesthetists nurses are also employed in the OR. They are actually RN’s who have obtained extensive education and have completed a national examination so as to turn into Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA). They carry out tasks much like anesthesiologists, who are clinical doctors.
- Gerontological nurses deal with the senior people in clinics, assisted living facilities, and doctors’ workplaces. They are experts in employing therapy plans for chronic health problems and offer assistance for both the patients as well as their family members. Elderly care facility nurses additionally deal with senior patients, and also several younger ones. Disorders stretch out from bone injuries to Alzheimer’s, and from cerebral vascular accidents to brain problems. These nurses examine patients and produce therapy plans, and also carry out administrative tasks.
- Home health nurses assist an amazing array of patients, such as individuals recuperating from incidents, childbirth, or disease. The nurse’s present instructions for patients and also for their close relatives.
- Hospital nurses may very well be even further classified by people responsible for the section of the hospital in which they are working. Nurses actually form a vital part of the actual operating and emergency location unit.
- ER nurses will be the very first ones to deal with patients the moment they arrive with severe pain.
- Forensic nurses present care and attention to victims of criminal offenses and acquire DNA data. They may examine elements of a criminal offense and frequently must testify in court regarding their researches. They could also operate throughout the penitentiary healthcare systems.
- Legal nurses speak with legal professionals on issues associated with health. They might examine records that can help figure out if carelessness happened in a specific case and if incapability or workers’ compensation cases are authentic. These nurses acquaint the attorneys with clinical vocabulary and may possibly show up as skilled witnesses in the courtroom.
- Nurse Educator is an additional significant occupation a nurse can take. These particular educators educate students to turn into LPNs and also RN’s. They may as well educate at the graduate degree (master’s plus Ph.D.) to organize nurses becoming advanced practice nurses, nurse educators, nursing administrators, as well as frontrunners in the industry. Instructors who instruct LPN, associate’s and bachelor’s programs, need to have a master’s college degree. To instruct graduate degree programs, the majority of colleges and universities demand a master’s at least and have a preference for a Ph.D.
- Nurse Practitioners, who actually specialize in women’s health and wellness, operate generally in primary care environments. They offer assistance for women from the age of puberty and throughout old age. Women’s health and wellness requirements are not the same as men’s, just as are their particular answers to health and illness. Nurse practitioners in women’s health and well-being concentrate on health advancement and avoidance of disorders. They furthermore deal with chronic medical conditions influencing women. These nurses carry out their responsibilities in many different locations. Most usual are medical facilities, doctor’s practices, and schools. All the nurses mentioned above might operate in all of these environments.
- Oncology nurses assist cancer patients inside hospitals, cancer facilities, hospices, places of residence, doctors’ practices, prolonged treatment establishments, along with pharmaceutic businesses. Throughout the oncology discipline, there are quite a few sections where nurses may become a specialist, for example, chemotherapy, breast oncology, and radiation. Advanced oncology nurses possess at least a Master’s college degree. They may grow to be additionally licensed by turning into an Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN), Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse (AOCN) or perhaps a Certified Pediatric Oncology Nurse (CPON).
- OR nurses deal with patients both prior to and following surgical treatment, support the operating surgeon, guide recuperation, keep track of vital signs, and assist patients in dealing with pain. Usually, they will be the very first faces you notice when you awaken following an operation.
- Pediatric nurses take care of children from childhood to 21 years old in medical centers, primary health care establishments, and critical health care facilities, to name a few. Their work specializes in health advancement, disorder prevention, identifying typical childhood disorders, and dealing with traumas.
- Psychiatric nurses look after patients having psychiatric dysfunctions, medical problems, or drug and alcohol abuse troubles in clinics as well as community health facilities. They examine patients, develop therapy plans, and deal with the patients’ health care.
- School nurses are in every single school. They have got quite a few responsibilities, such as overall health services, advising, physical training, nourishment, staff health and fitness, and also parent-local community participation. School nurses additionally must stick to personal students’ health programs. Requirements differ broadly in the school nurse area. You will find nurses having LPNs through PhDs, with distinctive licensing and qualifications in between.